Paul Bender Consulting delivers the following Services:
Budgeting, rate/tariff setting and financial planning
- Short and long-term financial and rates/tariff plans
- Develop long-term (10+ year) capital budgets to include:
- All known infrastructure upgrades; new infrastructure needs; and environmental/regulatory requirements. Includes development of operations and maintenance impacts of all capital projects
- Realistic annual capital spending plans to meet the organization’s rate objectives – e.g., modest annual increases; avoid ‘rate/tariff shock’ in particular years; justify higher rates/tariffs to improve bond ratings and/or financial performance objectives
- Development of innovative rate/tariff structures and levels to meet organizational goals for protection of low-income customers, modest annual rate/tariff increases, financial performance and conservation
- Rate-of-return rate/tariff setting approaches, as needed to justify rate levels, compliance with legal requirements, and to justify transfers to the City or other Governmental General Fund
Municipal and utility finance
- Assist management with developing appropriate and strong financial policies to achieve bond rating objectives.
- Negotiate with investment banks, rating agencies and financial advisers to ensure proper understanding of the organization’s financial and management strengths, performance, and reliability of long-term projections
- Assist with timing and sizing of bond issues
Turnaround project management
- Project management to address the entire range of organizational operations, with an expertise in financial, customer service and IT operations; deliver ‘best in class’ performance levels
- Management support to quickly improve organizational performance
- Coordination of consulting and internal employee resources to execute priority work plans and quickly achieve organizational objectives for improved performance
- Organizational reviews and development of appropriate organization structures, management roles, accountability, staffing levels, and training requirements
- Work with executive management and internal leaders to develop key organizational objectives, and annual work plans to achieve the objectives
- Review organization-wide strategic planning, budgeting, finance, accounting, payroll, accounts payable, treasury, customer service, IT and other functions, and develop appropriate changes to address organizational objectives.
- Assist management with implementation of new organization structures
- Internal Audit – successful outsourcing of the Internal Audit function, to achieve significant improvements in performance at the same or lower cost
- Paul Bender Consulting will also successfully deliver projects not specifically noted above, that replicate any of the achievements documented in Mr. Bender’s Resume/CV.