ABOUT > Paul Bender
Paul Bender, CPA, MBA
Paul Bender has 30 years of financial management and consulting experience, including 20 years as Chief Financial Officer for two large municipal natural gas, water and wastewater utilities (District of Columbia Water and Sewer Authority, 1997 – 2005; and City of Richmond, Public Utilities, 1986 – 1997), and six years as an independent financial and management consultant (2005 to present).
As CFO, Mr. Bender successfully implemented the entire range of financial, customer service (i.e., CIS, AMR/AMI, call center, etc.) and information technology systems; restructured financial and customer service operations to achieve Board of Directors and City Council objectives; and implemented strong financial planning, budgeting and rate setting processes. Key accomplishments were:
- Strong bond ratings and superior financial performance.
- Virtually 100% meter reading accuracy and customer billings; responsive call center operations, with industry-leading customer service survey ratings; innovative automated water leak detection and customer notification system
Mr. Bender has been a financial and management consultant since 2005, working with international and U.S. municipalities and water and wastewater utilities on organizational restructuring, strategic planning, and developing and implementing comprehensive short and long term financial and customer service improvement plans.
Mr. Bender’s clients over the past five years:
- Republic of Botswana, Ministry of Minerals, Energy and Water Resources, and Botswana Water Utilities Corporation – comprehensive, long-term tariff (rates) study, including raw water extraction pricing options, for the national takeover of water and wastewater operations by a single para-statal water provider
- City of Cleveland, Ohio – turnaround, organization-wide customer service improvement project for the City’s Water Division, under the direction of the Mayor
- Republic of South Africa, National Treasury, and Bloemfontein and Port Elizabeth Municipalities – hands-on assistance with MFMA implementation
- Gila River Indian Community, Sacaton, Arizona – management and financial restructuring
- City of Portsmouth, Virginia – long-term infrastructure financing and tariff study
- District of Columbia Water and Sewer Authority – outsourcing of internal audit; procurement and financial reviews of major infrastructure upgrade projects
- Stafford County, Virginia – long-term infrastructure financing and tariff study
- City of Danville, Virginia – options for justifying annual transfers from utilities to the City’s General Fund
See CV/Resume for detail for each of the above clients
Mr. Bender was a licensed Certified Public Accountant (Chartered Accountant equivalent) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts from 1981 until 2010, and has an MBA from Boston University, MA.